The mandate of BOBP-IGO is to enhance co-operation among member-countries as well as other countries and organisations in the Bay of Bengal region and provide technical and management advisory services for sustainable marine fisheries development and management.
Our forerunner, the BOBP, with a relentless focus on quality and objectivity, has already set international benchmarks in execution of programs and activities in the field of small-scale fisheries that has translated into measurable benefits for the member countries.
- Implement programmes and activities for the sustainable development and management of coastal fisheries.
- Enable shared learning, information exchange, and increased awareness on the needs, benefits, and practices of coastal fisheries management.
- Train key personnel for coastal fisheries planning, research, training, extension, and development.
- Transfer between countries knowledge techniques, processes and livelihood opportunities, and lessons, learnings and insights from the field.
- Develop interventions and programmes for women in fisheries.
- Initiate feasibility studies, project formulation, human resources planning, and awareness campaigns.